Jetboating.net Home
Login CreateAccount News Forums Galleries Articles Boats Destinations Events Links Search

Forum:  Other Boats     

roll call for the rare POLARIS EX2100/ LE2100
Posted on Mar 19,2010 3:11:22 AM GMT         Other Boats - General Question
miataroadster
# of posts:140

SoCal here. Just got it. Can't wait to go to the lake!!!!
My water park- Silverwood Lake, Piru Lake, Colorado River, Gregory lake; will revisit Castaic and Pyramid soon. 'been to Lake Tahoe when I had my 4 stroke then; twas nice and a blast but do not go boating there after noon time...it gets really choppy!

Projects and wish list:
upholstery- current
ski pylon/ tower- in the works...; got to do it- got too excited I already bought two wakeboards and two tubes!!
new sound system- still trying to convince the wife
heater-------
2nd battery---

Reply to this Message

Author Reply
xrayspex
roll call Apr 24,2010 3:38:17 PM GMT

hiya miataroadster...<br>I haven't been on this board in like forever. I have an LE2100. I bought in new in 2004. I had a problem initially with the steering going bad the second time on the water. My dealer (reluctantly) replaced the head assembly at no charge.<br>Other than that, its been great! I had it out last night the first time this year and it ran like a champ. I wish i had more time to get it wet...I only have 60 hours on it.<br>My email is hdtopper@gmail.com...keep in touch, there's not many of these boats out there.<br>I'd love to find a new mooring cover...mines getting a little ragged. According to Polaris, they have no more but told me to try Polaris dealers and see if they might have any gathering dust.<br>cya!<br>xrayspex
General Question Reply to this message

miataroadster
welcome back! Apr 25,2010 3:38:19 PM GMT

Good news about the boat firing right up and with no issues! I am about 60 miles to the nearest lakes and campgrounds but I don't mind the long drive. It's well worth it once I see the kids happy faces while running around the camp or beaches. We hit the lake twice once a month during boating season.
Got to the lake Friday and some folks asked me if it's a new boat. I even got some compliments at Walmart's parking lot. I have not seen even one boat like ours- kinda unique!
I have the wrong boat cover. I might check some local polaris dealers here for old stocks. I'd also check with an on-line vendor I used to buy my cover. I'd keep you guys updated.
Happy boating!!
Reply to this message

xrayspex
RE:welcome back Apr 26,2010 5:12:55 PM GMT

thanks!
in other news, I installed a new sony head unit, 4 new Alpine speakers, and a 10" bazooka subwoofer last week (I must be going through a mid-life crisis). It sounds WAY better than the stock unit!
One issue I'm aware of with this boat is that some have had problems in the past with the ski pylon. Seems like a bit of a design flaw...some have had the pylon pull clean throught the transom. I tried to find the link on jetboating.net where a polaris owner had beefed up the mounting, but can't seem to find it. i have tried to reinforce mine, but I did notice that I have a small crack in the fibreglas, so I'm very wary about pulling very much.
Any questions about anything let me know, and I'll do the same..
John
Reply to this message

miataroadster
bazooka May 3,2010 3:29:26 AM GMT

hey that's a good idea! It's the amplified one, right? I am ready for a new head unit, my seaworthy ain't working anymore....i'll keep the stock speakers for now. Do I need to buy a unit that has a "sub" output to hook up the amplified bazooka? Thanks!

were you talking about replacing the pylon with a tow ring? here's the link http://jetboating.net/jetboating/common/forums/gallery/gallery.aspx?galleryid=229
Reply to this message

GSEMLER01
roll call polaris Jun 16,2010 1:28:55 AM GMT

just jumping on to say high, new to me polaris ex2100 owner.
had a ss tango needed more room and security.
wow what a boat 250 dfi had to replace stator seal second week of use, found this forum extremelyhelpful, thanks go out to all the knowledge put out on this forum.
one month in shake down complete ready for an 8 day vacation on the lake.

Reply to this message

miataroadster
welcome aboard Jun 30,2010 5:00:23 AM GMT

where is your playground? i'm here in SoCal. Silverwood Lake, Castaic Lake, and Lake Piru. Maybe Colorado River this August.
yep-great engine. it uses less gas than my previous boats. Enjoy your new toy!!!
Reply to this message

GSEMLER01
Iowa, Coralville Lake Jul 7,2010 5:12:06 PM GMT

Took a weeks vacation to lake okoboji in NE Iowa, had perfect weather mid 80s
a little choppy but the boat handled it well, Filled tank before putting in Ran 4 days tubing several hours a day and going up and down lake and didn't use a half tank of gas, I love this boat!
Reply to this message

adrianracer
Roll call Apr 25,2010 12:54:48 AM GMT

Hi guys, I have a Red EX2100 with 110 hrs. Love it, no problems so far....

miataroadster
I like the boat---- Apr 25,2010 3:44:03 PM GMT

Waz up adrianracer? Thanks for the info that you've emailed me!! I'm glad your boat is running excellent.
What's the weather like in Canada?
SoCal is in the high 60s right now. It's been a crazy weather for April. I might take her out today for the second time...
Happy boating!

tanner
heater? Please elaborate on that.. nt Apr 26,2010 2:03:48 PM GMT

General Question SeaDoo - 1997 - Speedster - Twin 85hp Rotax (720) Reply to this message

miataroadster
12vdc portable heater May 3,2010 2:46:03 AM GMT

I am thinking of buying one of those portable ones. It will be nice to keep the kids warmer when cruising around after a long day of tubing. Has anyone used this type of product yet?

rlhartman
Don't pull tubes from a tower or wakeboard pylon... Apr 26,2010 5:05:20 PM GMT

Inflatables have far more drag than do boards and skis. The stress is too great for towers and tall pylons. You risk cracking the gelcoat and/or fiberglass. Use the towing eye down low on the rear of the boat for inflatables - that's why it is there.
General Question SeaDoo - 2001 - Challenger 2000 - Merc 240 EFI Reply to this message

miataroadster
got lucky last time.. Jun 26,2010 4:34:06 PM GMT

i thought it was okay to pull "anything"with the tower. i used mine to pull a -3-person tube for 2 seasons but most of the times i was only pulling kids though. i did not find any gelcoat cracks...i guess i was just lucky. thanks for the tip. from now on, i will never use my tower for that purpose. instead, use the eye down- in my case, a mini-tiny-lil pylon. btw, that mini tow connection already has spider cracks.

rlhartman
Don't you have a dedicated towing eye near the swim deck? Jun 26,2010 4:52:17 PM GMT

You shouldn't pull inflatables from a (mini) pylon, either, for the exact same reason. Many people have bent those pylons doing that.

Most boats have a U-shaped towing point just above the swim platform. It's there specifically to tow inflatables.
SeaDoo - 2001 - Challenger 2000 - Merc 240 EFI Reply to this message

miataroadster
stress cracks now visible..paging narshdoo... Jun 27,2010 6:08:12 AM GMT

while drying the boat tonite i noticed that stress cracks are now visible around the triangular shape where the tow bolt is.
yes, polaris put a tow bolt? i don't really even know if it's called a mini pylon. about a week ago, i had an estimate to reinforce that area. cost is around $175 installed. however, i came across another way to do it. i might go with narshdoo's tow hook install.
hey narshdoo- it's been almost 4 seasons when u did the mod. any problems?
Reply to this message

miataroadster
upholstery update...chi-ching!!!! May 3,2010 2:55:38 AM GMT

My first quote was $1800 for the bench,sun deck, captain chairs, and two front seat cushions. Ouch!!! So I found another guy who charged me $600(or $1300 for all) for the bench and sundeck plus $100 for boat detail. Not bad. I probably could have saved a lil bit of money if I've opted to get more bids but I was in a hurry to get this baby ready for the water.
I did not realize it costs a lot of money to do the boat upholstery.... oh well, at least the boat looks better.

miataroadster
new wakeboard tower Jun 25,2010 4:21:38 AM GMT

Just scored a black wakeboard tower and will post pics once installed maybe this weekend? will go with rhartmans' backplate reinforcement recommendation. might end up buying a rack soon...while wifey is in a good mood ;-)

ken4motion
EX2100 Sep 7,2010 1:38:24 AM GMT

Hey,
I'm interested in getting a used Polaris Jet boat...I found an EX2100 for sale locally for $12K with 80 hours. Is this a decent price? What should I be looking for when I check out this boat?
Thanks,
Ken

miataroadster
value Sep 9,2010 12:39:04 AM GMT

First of all, welcome to the club! You'll find this boat forum very informative and helpful. Members here saved me some money through their suggestions and experiences.
I usually use www.nada.com to base the value of a pwc or a boat. Here is the link with the values
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-24-38-5697-0-0-0&l=1&w=24&p=38&f=5698&m=11379&d=1600217069&y=2004&ml=P&gc=MR>c=MR

Anyway, 80 hours for a six-yr old boat is, IMO, low hours! Did u actually see it, or the owner was just telling you this info? The hour meter is with the speedo dial. It will cost you around $300 to replace it..that is if you can still find the original polaris part. I have not replaced mine yet. All the gages are working except the hour meter.

Is this from a dealer? If yes, any warranty? Ask if they have done any service at all to the boat.

Honestly, I paid more than the book suggested because for me, it is not-so-common boat. People actually told me that they have not seen a boat like this; did not know that polaris made boats! I like the engine. It uses 87 octane, very economical..uses less gas! Has enough ooomp to pull a 4-person tube or a wakeboarder. There is no super charger that will break.

I think $12k is a lil bit high especially that boating season is almost over,...well at least here in SoCalifornia.., even if the boat is in pristine condition.

Here are stuff to check: possible expenses
1. upholstery....$500-1500
2. battery........$70-125
3. oil................$25-125
4. radio/cd........$100
5. trailer tires.....$150
6. cracks around the area where mini-ski pylon is located...$???
7. gages
8. any beeps after starting the engine?
9. check impeller for cavitation, bring flashlight w/ u
10 see if steering is working correctly, otherwise you might need a new cable..$150?

Good luck!

ken4motion
EX2100 Sep 9,2010 1:51:00 PM GMT

Thanks so much, miata, I'm going to try and see the boat today. I've only seen pics online thus far. It's for sale at a marina that services jet skiis. This is also the Merc 240, not the 250. The guy stated 80 hours. The NADA values are very low...about $8K below listed price, I wonder if that will give me more leverage in putting in a low offer?
I really like the jet boat concept, especially for the shallow bay waters out here on Long Island, NY. I'd really like to just park it on a bay beach and hang and do bbq, fishing, etc. Plus having no prop dangling around will be nice for the kids jumping off the back of the boat!
Reply to this message

miataroadster
negotiate...won't hurt to ask, or even try the walk-away-tactic... Sep 9,2010 3:28:35 PM GMT

Make sure to test drive the boat b4 negotiating. 240 is good, too. If u really like the polaris then search online for other jetboats like seadoo challenger or speedster or even sportster. Prices are, i'd say, in the $7-12k range depending on year and model. Bring those figures to the dealer. Yes, show them the nada value and start negotiating base on those suggested prices.

Make sure to test drive the boat. 240 is good, too. remember to check visible gelcoat cracks around the tow bolt(transom/behind boat). if u see any, try to negotiate the cost to fix it. no big dael, i believe, it's just cosmetic. I ended up putting a new tow ring there to eliminate the gelcoat cracking per one of our member's projects. twas easy, cost around $40parts(ebay/homedepot) plus 40minutes.

look at the battery. if there is a date, check. if it's manufacture date is 3 yrs old, just an insurance-it's time to replace..that will be $75 expense.

check the bimini...if it's damaged(sun)...chiching....$300 ebay.

good luck!
Reply to this message

ken4motion
it has the 250 Sep 9,2010 6:49:37 PM GMT

So I got out there to check out the boat today and it has the 250. Motor looks pretty clean. The boat itself is worn, it has its share of scratches, nicks in the hull. Has all the covers. The boat was not working at the moment and they wanted a deposit for a test drive so I did not get deeply into talking numbers. I'm going to bring a friend who knows boats very well. The impeller looks ok, no visible signs of damage, just typical corrosion from sitting. Trailer looks ok with some rusting of brackets that look replaceable. It also has brakes. He was hinting little give in the price but was willing to do other things instead of a reduction in price (fix scratches, detail, etc. What do you think?

I do like the size and features of this craft. He showed me a 23' Yamaha with twin motors for a few more thousand. That is tempting but that adds to my overhead for maintaining a first boat. Nice having all that extra space but 23' seems a bit big for a first boat, at least for me...
Reply to this message

miataroadster
"not working at the moment" is not a really good sign... Sep 10,2010 12:08:33 AM GMT

Boat should have been cleaned and ready for delivery once sold....deposit for a test drive?...weird. It's good you have a mech. friend. It seems like they want a buyer first then fix the boat after..not a good deal. Be careful with verbal promises, make sure u put everything in writing!

I, too, almost bought a 23' yamaha. Yes, it's for more money, plus I do not want to to maintenence of two engines. Besides, it's too heavy to tow. I'll be pushing the max. tow load on my MDX. Yep, that is big! I started with 2-3 seater PWC, moved up to a 15 footer to an 18, now 21.

I hope everything works for you...
Reply to this message

ken4motion
steering? Sep 11,2010 2:05:02 AM GMT

How do you like the steering in this boat? Is it very different from a prop driven boat?
Also, any problems with clogging of the intake, like with sea weed?
How does this boat handle the 'chop' 'bumps' 'waves' ?
What does your yearly maintainence consist of?

Reply to this message

miataroadster
jet from the start Sep 11,2010 4:31:36 AM GMT

sorry i could not tell you the difference between the two. i've never driven one w/ prop.
weeds..no problem. if i get em i usually just do the forward and reverse trick. sometimes if weed is really thick, i just turn off the engine and paddle my way to the beach for kids to play. oh yeah, eventually you'll get something in there. one time i notice a loss in pwer, found out later it sucked in a small pine cone. Love the jet- imo safer especially when you have kids with u. Fun part with jet is- u can go were jetskis go!

my previous boats handle better. polaris-hitting waves is manageable, but not as fun as the seadoo boats . you can not do donut turns with this polaris! cruising around is great, though...and did i say good on gas?

this is my first season with this boat. i had it serviced, $200(filters,labor)i think i've use about 100 gallons of gas,(free from lat owner) 10 gallons of oil. although i think i probably need another 5-gal($25 at walmart) of oil my next possibly last outing this year. i have not even replace the spark plugs yet. basically put gas, add oil, have fun!!!
I plan to save some money for pre-season next year and do everything myself. this forum has a lot of info.

here's my maintenace list:
service....$200
new battery....$75
oil...was free
replaced pitot(for speedometer) plus sealant...$25
two new trailer tires and wheels........$150
wheel balance......$20
new generic safety lineyard/kill switch...$9

btw, ask the shop if the boat comes with carpet($300??) and boat cover($1100 up!!!)

Reply to this message

miataroadster
correction- its one gallon/container not five. Sep 11,2010 7:08:14 AM GMT

$25.96/gal just grabbed one tonight. so far ive used 2 gallons this season...bought my third - I just dont want to hear the low oil beep...
Reply to this message

ken4motion
Optimax 250 Sep 13,2010 4:49:41 PM GMT

Thanks again for all the information! I did not realize that the 250 is an outboard motor until I read a review of the motor online. Now thinking back, I thought it was strage how the motor sat vertically in the hull! I wanted to know if you have a noticable amout of exhaust smoke and smell?
Reply to this message

miataroadster
smoke and smell Sep 17,2010 5:28:29 AM GMT

hardly noticed the smoke...but the smell..ugh! the 240 i had was worse. from one of the posts here, using synthetic oil would lessen smoke and smell. i might try it next season.
Reply to this message

ken4motion
Pricing Sep 18,2010 6:44:50 PM GMT

So this is the boat I went to see: http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-POLARIS-EX2100-96814119

Compared to this one, the one above is not in such nice shape: http://boats.iboats.com/2004-polaris-ex2100-jet-boat/656194.html

Then I found a blue one for less (really like the blue): http://www.sellboatsnow.com/browse/powerboats/polaris-ex2100-250hp-optimax-8-500-00-l74.html

I know that living in NY, things are priced relatively higher but I'm not sure if I want to spend $12K~ and then have to do a 'boat load' of work to get this thing humming and looking great. My feeling is to hold off for now, maybe look again once the season if fully over...
Reply to this message

GSEMLER01
the blue one Sep 19,2010 12:39:37 AM GMT

The blue one sold last year I am in Iowa and that boat was 45 miles away from me, I even tried to get the seller to forward my info to the person that bought it so I could give him an offer. I found one in Michigan about 12 hrs away and bought it sight unseen sent my son to pick it up, worked out well its a fantastic boat, I did rebuild the wear ring and put in a solas impeller, very nice results, The market price on these boats is very hard to get a grip on as there are so few and it is very unique. I formerly owned a Sugar sand Tango I bought new and sold after one year because the time I have to use it is on Sundays and our lake is brutal on Sundays, the size of the ex2100 helped tremendously handling a busy choppy Lake. If you have any mechanical skills and like the first one you saw give them an offer and go back and fourth a while to see if you can get close to spending what you want, You may find the end result is a boat you love and may have years of enjoyment out of for a very reasonable price compared to a typical stern drive for much more money
Reply to this message

brownie
just a thought Sep 21,2010 12:22:48 PM GMT

Depending on where you live the price does vary a bit (I also live in NY and hear from the Southerners how that price seems too high). It is all supply and demand. But anyway, my thoughts...the NY boat is most likely a salt water boat given its location. The other two (or one remaining) is most likely a fresh water boat. Given the rigors of the previous owner this may or may not be a big deal. If they did not flush the salt water boat you may be in for some unexpected maintenance challenges.

Here's a nice one for you: http://www.adpost.com/us/vehicles/495254/

(It better be for that price!!!)

Yamaha - 2007 - AR210 - Twin 110hp Reply to this message

ken4motion
Wow, the red one... Sep 21,2010 1:32:28 PM GMT

Wow, that 2100 looks new in those pics. For $16K, I'd say he'll sit on that boat for a long time.

I'm on Long Island and it's all salt around here, that is apart from the 'partly salty' or brackish Peconic Bay. The boat I looked at was trailered but it's just a bit 'beat up' in my mind, considering the 80 hours. The motor did look clean though. I just had thoughts of some kid racing and bumping this thing around. Also, the dealer indicated little give in the price. Considering this economy, I have the impression to look at many more boats.

I'm also now considering looking at the 2004-2005 Sea-Doo Utopia 205. Seems close in price to the EX2100 and has some more nice features...plus the boats are still being manufactured. Just the fact that there is a ton more information on the 205 makes it more attractive.
Reply to this message

ken4motion
PARTS IS PARTS? Oct 3,2010 1:55:34 AM GMT

Just a question for all of you current EX2100 owners: Where do you go to find replacement parts for the Polaris? Let's say you need something for the hull or for the electronics or the steering, etc.? Thanks!

Reply to this message

ken4motion
Slow around here... Oct 17,2010 2:24:54 AM GMT

I guess that this thread has gotten stale???
Reply to this message

miataroadster
try this one... Oct 27,2010 5:03:36 AM GMT

http://www.polarispartshouse.net/pages/parts/viewbybrand/14/Polaris.aspx

They actually have diagrams showing the parts and part nos. I have not used this store yet. Luckily, I have survived this season...nothing broke!!!!!! Polaris will be hibernating for now...
For the meantime, I'll be busy preparing our new vacation home we bought a month ago in Big Bear, CA....ha-ha..it's almost snowboarding time!!!!
Reply to this message

Gregg2gs
Polaris ex 2100 Hampton bays Apr 26,2011 2:38:22 AM GMT

I just went to look at this boat too, as I am in the market to purchase one now. Was considering the yamaha ls2000, but I like the width and hull of the Polaris better. The one in long island is beat up a bit. Ron seems like a good guy, but is a salesman at the end of the day.

Anyone know of someone selling a clean one within the tri state area? Mail gregg2gs@aol.com. Thanks
Reply to this message

ken4motion
The EX Apr 26,2011 1:32:09 PM GMT

Greg,
Did you take it out or have him start it up? The boat looks like it needs some work to get running. Plus that trailer will need repair as well. I like it but would not pay $12K for it. I think that you may find yourself crossing state lines to find a fine EX2100...
Reply to this message

ken4motion
EX in OH Apr 26,2011 5:04:17 PM GMT

This one looks pretty nice: http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/2004-Polaris-EX%202100-98269954

Spend some extra to have it shipped!
Reply to this message

miataroadster
I wish you luck finding one close to you... Apr 28,2011 1:57:03 AM GMT

It looks like it's really hard to find a polaris jet boat. A web search only gave me these results. Too bad it's about 750-1000miles away from you...costs $8500- $15000.
Wow! There's only on for sale here in CA. Good luck in finding your new ride!

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Polaris-Ex2100/118653031

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/2335829923.html

http://www.sellboatsnow.com/browse/powerboats/polaris-ex2100-250hp-optimax-8-500-00-l74.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/2339225270.html

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/2330706684.html

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-POLARIS-EX2100-96814119

http://www.loddersmarine.com/ViewInventory/tabid/26498/Show/ViewSearch/CustomFieldIDs/-1/SearchValues/polaris/Default.aspx

Reply to this message

TechJunkie
Picking mine up this weekend... Jul 27,2011 1:48:04 AM GMT

Trying to locate the owner's manual and service manual...

First boat for me so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I am not buying a money pit...

GSEMLER01
Polaris EX2100 owners manual Jul 27,2011 3:32:49 AM GMT

Welcome to ownership of a great family boat!
I bought an owners manual online for $6.95
on a pdf file and printed it out, three hole punched it and put it in a binder.
I have not looked at it since.
There is no useful info in it, You are much better off searching through this forum and other info on the web to find anything you need.
The manual for the optimax can be bought on ebay or just search around for the best price..
mercury does not allow anyone to put it out for free but it can be found if you look hard enough.
How many hours does your boat have, where did you find it, where will you use it, did you get red or blue?
lastly get out there and enjoy the rest of the season and use only opti oil!
I have a blue one I bought last year it had 126 hours 156 now.

Reply to this message

TechJunkie
Thanks for the welcome and the info Jul 27,2011 4:15:20 AM GMT

It's reported to have "about 90" hour on it. Ironically it is the same red one in long island, ny that was discussed in this thread. Still at the same maria in Hampton bays. My purchase is subject to a water test this week but I expect it go fine...or at least I am hoping it does since I am anxious to get out on the peconic bay with the family to enjoy the rest of the season.

Boat was puportedly at the marina it's entire life and was part of their valet service, meaning they put it in and pulled it out each day the owner wanted to use the boat. When pulled out it was cleaned and flushed.

The comments here were that the boat looked beat up and based on the photo taken of the bow I would have to agree but when I saw it in person it must have been cleaned up after the photo because it didn't give me the same impression. Interior looked great, upholstery looked very clean and in good condition. I noticed on stainless steel piece missing from the port side. Based on the Polaris parts diagram I am guessing it is the accon side mount releasable hinge for the Bimini top? That's being replaced.

Comes with trailer...I agree that the trailer needs some tlc...new jack, maybe new wheels and tires. Comes with all transient lines, anchor, fenders, etc.

I was hoping the users manual would cover the basics for a guy like me that hasn't ever owned a boat...like where to fill the oil, how often, etc :)

Any tips for water testing the boat, what to look out for, listen for, ways to put the engine and jet components through their paces to ensure everything is working?

He's giving a 30 day warranty on engine but I'm concerned about steering cables, throttle, etc. These are the items that seem to go on my brother in laws waverunner.

What about the intake grates/grills? Any maintenance to be performed, can they be replaced, and if so where can they be found? They seemed to have som signs of corrosion.

I've read about changing seals, impeller, etc but don't know how to determine whether this is needed.

Sorry for all the questions, but I suppose I'm definitely a newbie to this hobby.

I was planning on mooring it for long weekends in the peconic bay but what I'm reading about leaving these types of boats in slat water, or brackish water, for too long has me doubting that plan. We have a small place right on the beach and that would be the easiest and most convenient. Would it be ok to leave it in for 3-4 days at a time before plling it out and flushing/cleaning? What about leaving it in for a weeklong vacation period, say Friday to Sunday?

Thanks
Reply to this message

GSEMLER01
water test Jul 28,2011 8:50:40 PM GMT

The mercury manual would have all the info you need for fluids etc.<br>On the water it's hard to tell what the performance should be unless you have something to compare it to,however check the alignment of the steering wheel at cruising speed (around 35mph on the dreamo meter), from idle try to fully accelerate and time how long it takes to come down to plane, with 2 people and half tank of gas should take 3-4 seconds, Also look for heavy white vapor when accelerating (a sign of cavitation) open the rear hatch in a clear area and remove the sound deadening cover and listen for anything that sounds unusual, (Without knowing how familiar with two strokes you are its hard to explain on paper what to look for other than metallic knocking.<br>Try to hit some good waves and see how the boat flexes watch the windshield and see that it does not separate too much right by the glass door.<br>the cables are hard to tell other than physical inspection if they feel good with no binding they should be fine check the rubber boots around the jet outlet that cover the cables for cracks.<br>on dry land open the black cover on the engine and check the large pulley over the air compressor, turn it to see if there is any play in the pump.(just replaced mine, kind of pricey.<br>bring a good flash light.<br>If you can't see the hours right under the tachometer shine the flashlight in the rectangle the hours should be readable if they are not already.<br>If you can't read it with just the key on or with a flashlight the hour meter is probably not working.<br>get under the boat to look for any signs of repair to the fiberglass.<br>look inside the grate to get a look at the impeller and wear housing to look for gouging and curling on the impeller<br>put the selector in reverse and look in the jet from the back for signs of damage also look for any green fluid from the jet anywhere the stator seal on these units is a common failure (easy to fix just have to dig in and do it)<br>Also ask for any history they have of maintenance and repairs.<br>Take your boat and go have fun.
Reply to this message

GSEMLER01
water storage Jul 28,2011 8:53:19 PM GMT

I forgot to mention leaving it in the water.<br>My boat is completely water tight, first one I have ever had.<br>Every boat is different so just check it for water accumulation after a few hours on the water and check that your bilge pump works.<br>should be fine left on the water for a few days!
Reply to this message

TechJunkie
Thanks for all the tips and advice... Jul 28,2011 11:28:54 PM GMT

Wow, you gave me a heck of a lot, can't thank you enough.

I'll have to memorize everything. I'll have all day to check it out, which I think is great. I hope the boat is not in the water already when I get there so I can check some of the things you mentioned...wish I would have known what to look for the first day I saw it sitting on the trailer...live and learn.

He's giving me a 30 day warranty on the engine and I fully expect to use it quite a bit during that time, weather permitting. I'm taking about two weeks vacation with the family and we'll be using very day...tubing, skiing, wake boarding, etc.
Reply to this message

miataroadster
very good advise, GSEMLER01! Jul 29,2011 12:42:17 AM GMT

Congrats Techjunkie! You will be happy with your new toy!!! You basically add oil and gas...and smile. Anyway, if the shop has not changed the battery yet I'd suggest that you invest into one. Go to Walmart or Costco. It should be less than $80.
Your family will have lots of fun with tubing! Just watch out for some gel coat cracks around the mini-pylon area. I had noticed some cracks on mine after tubing several times. The design for that(towing) is not so great so I decided to install a tow ring? instead that I bought thru ebay. Check the oil. Make sure to ask the shop to top off the oil before closing the deal. Mercury dfi oil is $43/gal!!!!
Reply to this message

TechJunkie
Crossing my fingers Jul 29,2011 3:59:39 AM GMT

I hope everything works out since in my mind I'm already a boat owner and have already started planning for all sorts of accessories, upgrades, etc.

Still haven't located any manuals but I'll ramp up that effort once the keys are in my hand.

I read much about the issues owners were having with the ski pylon. For towing, especially tubes, I picked up the Kwik-Tek-Airhead-Heavy Duty-Harness which connects to two points on the transom...I'm assuming there are two connection points already but perhaps I'll have to install a ski hook on both sides.

Can anyone tell me what connection points are standard on these models...I wish I could remember but I wasn't focusing on such details.

Reply to this message

miataroadster
two connection points?? Jul 29,2011 4:02:51 AM GMT

there are two. but those are mainly used to attached the tiedowns (back of boat and trailer). are u talking about those connections? hmmm, might work...those points are reinforced. u might end up chipping the gelcoat using the metal hooks...

Reply to this message

TechJunkie
She's mine... Jul 31,2011 11:21:52 AM GMT

Everything checked out. When I arrived the boat was on the trailer ready to be launched. I performed a thorough visual inspection top to bottom. They already ad the engine compartment open for inspection so I climbed aboard and checked it out...very clean and appeared to be very well maintained...it was owned by a single owner that was an employee of the marina for a long time. It was part of their valet services it was prepped and launched whenever the owner wanted to take it out and then pulled out, cleaned and flushed.

I brought a small mag lite with me and checked the jet drive and steering as best I could, including looking in through the nozzle and the intake...everything seemed to be in good condition with no obvious signs of damage or abuse. I checked out the steering to ensure it was easy to turn lock to lock, checked the cables and the boots, etc. Everything checked out.

The intake grate itself didn't look all that great in terms of being shiny stainless steel, but it wasn't damaged and there were no signs of it having ever been beached/grounded. I may look into getting a new grate after this season is over.

Out on the water she started right up, no hesitation and purred nicely...great sounding boat. She handled very nicel, turning on a dime and responding almost immediately to throttle inputs. I really like the throttle control as it was a set and forget type control...didn't have to keep my hand on it at all times to maintain constant rpm/speed. Now, maybe that isn't the way it is supposed to be? Is that a sign that the throttle cable is binding?

I performed a couple of hole shots and she was very nimble and responsive, planin very quickly. Looked for excessive white vapor/mist as suggested and there was only a very tiny amount...can't say that it wasn't exhaust as opposed to signs of cavitation.

Engine sounded good with lid open and sound proofing removed...no metal clanking at all.

Bringing her to dock was a chore for me as there was a slight wind and my first time trying to back a boat in as opposed to simply coming alongside a dock...this is my first boat as an owner. Prior to this I was either driving someone ekes, and therefore never had to dock, or driving a rental, which didn't involve much docking at all other than pulling up alongside a wide open dock.

Thankfully there were some young kids who quickly ace to my rescue...or perhaps they were coming to rescue their boat ;-)

The other thing I will probably have to work on a bit is the trailer. The hubs, break drums and springs look corroded and coiled probably be replaced. Not even sure the brakes are working. When I get her home I'll have to investigate.

Well, I'm off to enjoy my second day of boating...nervous about pulling her out of the water on my own today...but I supoose I'll be a pro in no time...keeping my fingers crossed.
Reply to this message

TechJunkie
Front cushions Jul 31,2011 11:31:45 AM GMT

Oh I forgot, the front cushions seem to be missing the part that actuall keeps them in place, the part that I assume engages/mates with the rubber catch...can anyone post a picture of this part? I don't see it listed on any of the online parts diagrams from Polaris.

TIA
Reply to this message

miataroadster
GSEMLER01 found that part!!! Jul 31,2011 7:28:31 PM GMT

Thanks for our fellow boater!!!! Here is the info:

Eberhard manufacturing distributer is Austin hardware 800-821-3520
part number 1-664-2 includes male and female ends.

That's good news about your new toy!!!! ENJOY IT!
Reply to this message

TechJunkie
Don't know how you managed to do it, but thank you! Jul 31,2011 9:08:40 PM GMT

I will try the number tomorrow. In the meantime I sent eberhard an email directly. If I have to, I'll have to improvise and make something that will work.

Thanks again!
Reply to this message

GSEMLER01
Have fun Jul 31,2011 9:43:10 PM GMT

and enjoy your new toy!!!
I have a couple extra front seat fasteners.
If you want them just send me your address gsemler@carouselnissan.com and I will mail them to you
$6 parts $5 shipping.
The throttle sounds like it is working the way it's supposed to.
Too hot and humid in Iowa to go to the lake today hanging out in the man cave with my 6 year old.

Reply to this message

TechJunkie
Sent you email Aug 1,2011 2:47:19 AM GMT

Thanks....really appreciate our help.

Reply to this message

TechJunkie
Bilge pump Aug 1,2011 2:49:34 AM GMT

Where is it located...can't orient myself properly off the Polaris parts diagrams online.

How does it operate...not automatic? Only turns on when you activate switch? Only when engine is on?

GSEMLER01
Hidden pump Aug 1,2011 3:27:44 AM GMT

I have never seen mine I just know it works, when I first got my boat I took it to the car wash and pressure washed every inch of the interior less the motor and turned on the bilge pump while I was in the process.
I would assume if you removed the large panel on the deck that the ski storage door is attached to you would find it under there, the key does not have to be on to turn on the bilge manually.
I have not tested to see if its automatic or not, I would assume it is.
It is very quiet and pumps a huge volume.
I did find the outlet hose was pinched a little when the boat was put together.

miataroadster
It should turn on automatically at a certain water level.... Aug 1,2011 7:23:39 AM GMT

Open the ski locker; there is a circular cover with stainless steel screws. Behind that is the pump. If you want to test if it turns on automatically just fill up the bilge with water. To test it manually- you can use the rocker switch or there's also a manual switch on the pump itself. If neither works- check the fuse.
Btw- our boat does not need the key to power any of the rocker switches, as mentioned by GSEMLER01. So make sure that every time you are done using the boat all switches are in off position.(my kids love to touch those switches!!!) Otherwise you'll drain the battery.

TechJunkie
Thanks to both Aug 1,2011 10:45:38 AM GMT

Unfortunately then it seems that my bilge pump is not working, hopefully it is just the fuse.

I took out the drain plug to drain the water yesterday after washing her down because obviously the bilge wasn't working. I wasn't sure if it was because the engine had to be running or not and I also wasn't sure if it was a good idea to start the engine with just the hose feeding it water through the flush connector...I know, I am a pathetic newbie as my son likes to point out.

Last night after looking over the schematics again and again, referencing other schematics to get oriented properly, I concluded that it had to be under that circular plate int the ski locker and was going to check tonight when I get home from the office...thanks to you two I now know that it wasn't working and what to look at initially to troubleshoot :)

Are the fuses under the driver side dash?

TechJunkie
Making sure switches are off... Aug 1,2011 11:01:59 AM GMT

btw, I learned this the hard way I suppose. Last night after coming home from dinner, thankfully I decided to lean in to grab the key as I didn't feel comfortable leaving it (kids, wrongdoers, etc. ). I noticed the gauges were all lit and I know that I turned the key off, thinking that controlled. That darn light switch is a double pole double throw switch and has to be in the middle position! It was only a couple of hours so I hope the battery is fine.

On the positive side, the instrument panel looked nice lit up at night :)

GSEMLER01
Seats Aug 1,2011 2:10:24 PM GMT

I gave you the wrong email, I don't use my work one very often.
Just chance gsemler to geralds

TechJunkie
did you mean ... Aug 1,2011 3:23:24 PM GMT

change carouselnissan to geralds?

GSEMLER01
email Aug 1,2011 7:49:54 PM GMT

Sorry
geralds@carouselnissan.com

TechJunkie
It was the fuse... Aug 2,2011 2:31:06 PM GMT

Actually, the fuse was missing.  thankfully, the fuse block is labeled very nicely so i knew i needed a 4A fuse.  picked one up this morning, popped it in and hit the switch, voila, bilge pump started pumping.  i thought i got rid of most of the water via the drain plug but quite a bit came out.

thanks again...not sure i would have immediately looked to the fuse first, although i should know to do that by now based on experiences with cars

ken4motion
EX2100 Aug 3,2011 1:07:52 AM GMT

Techjunkie...just curious, how much did he let that boat go for?
Thanks,
Ken

TechJunkie
I definitely paid over the nada price Aug 3,2011 2:31:47 AM GMT

But he did a bunch of small repairs to the boat and trailer and really went above and beyond in delivering a nicely detailed boat. Also valet service for rest of season. Also included 30 day warranty on engine. I plan on using it quite a bit for the next month...two week vacation starting next week and I'll be using every day. I'm mooring it in the peconic for that two week period. I'm sure I'll have to scrub her down real good after two weeks in the bay. May pull her out after one week,clean her and put her back in.

I like the uniqueness and dealing with a dealer/marina as opposed to buying from a private seller.

Enough with the rationalizations...:)

ken4motion
Sold Aug 3,2011 2:40:29 AM GMT

Well, congrats to you. I now can take that boat off of my watch list! I really liked that boat bit did not like it's condition last September. I had too many things to deal with this year and could not do the boat. Enjoy the EX. Let me know how she handles in the chop. Thanks, Ken.

TechJunkie
reverse bucket Sep 19,2011 7:28:38 PM GMT

i've inspected the reverse bucket and am wondering whether it might be slightly impinging upon the jet stream when traveling forward.

has anyone adjuste the bucket?  if so, where do you make the adjustment, at the throttle assembly or at the bucket?  in either instance, does it first require disconnecting the cable or is there simply a nut you can turn to make the adjustment.  in looking at the connection by the bucket, it seemed to me i would have to first disconnect the cable in order to make any adjustment.

TIA

miataroadster
WAKE UP. Mar 10,2012 1:14:22 AM GMT

It looks like we only have a total of four Polaris here. It's been almost two years since I got mine and I haven't seen another one in any of my playground. So how you doin?

We're beginning to see some 70's here in SoCal and I can't wait to hit the water again. The boat started right up this afternoon with no issues. That's good for hibernating for 5 months. I'd say the solar battery charger is well worth the investment. I will begin with replacing the fuel filter, shopping for optimax oil, and maybe have the stator service done. Oh yeah, I got to service the trailer too- is this an easy DIY project?

xrayspex
trailer Mar 14,2012 4:22:08 PM GMT

trailer maintenance is easy even when you are not too bright like myself...
shoot some grease into the bearing buddies, check air pressure, fasteners and hitch and your pretty much done...
I usually check all this stuff whenever I use the trailer anyway.

Warm spell in Ohio here also....very tempting !

miataroadster
uncover then cover...the boat. Mar 15,2012 3:07:11 AM GMT

hah! I was not able to do anything with the boat last weekend because it became car maintenance weekend!
Anyway, is there a recommended service interval for the bearing buddies? Just like you, all I do is lube the bearings. I have not heard of any grinding noise so far.

TechJunkie
Been a while.... Apr 10,2012 12:55:02 PM GMT

Warm weather in the ny area as well. Very tempted to get out on the water but still have so much I wanted to do in advance. For starters, as this is my first time "summarizing" my boat, I'm not too sure what needs to be done. I paid to have it winterized and the service guy said to bring it back in the spring to ge her ready but is it as simple as just turning her on or does it need to be flushed out, etc. I know there is antifreeze involved and the engine was fogged and sprayed so I was wondering if they do something special to "reverse" the process. Probably worth having them do it that e first time as I would like to have her tuned up and checked out properly before hopefully putting her to much greater use thus year. 

Ive actually got quite a bit of trailer work planned. Changing the axle, brake drums, etc.

I want to change the drum brake actuator as well but I haven't actually purchased that yet.

Going to change the axle the first weekend I put her in since it will be much easier without the boat on the trailer,  not to mention safer for me!

miataroadster
can't wait to add water... Apr 13,2012 3:47:18 AM GMT

Weather here in SoCal has been crazy...rain/snow/wind...but I know it won't be long til I hit the water!
Anyway, I believe, the water alone is the main ingredient as a coolant(cooling system) for our engine. That's is why it's important to do some "flushing" to make sure there is no debris in there. No water=problem=overheat.

For me pre-storage is pretty much flushing, full tank of gas , add fuel stabilizer, keeping an eye on battery charge. And for the fun part, pre-season, battery check, replace spark plugs as needed, replace water separating fuel filter, I think i'm due to replace air compressor filter, check/add oil. Trailer-since mine does not have the brakes- grease trailer buddy, check tire pressures/ wiring connections, lights.

Gloseloth56
no question May 26,2012 4:21:32 AM GMT

no question about that. water is really important especially to technology involves on over heating like in engine, reactor. well said man

Donpanama
It's been some time now. Jul 17,2012 4:14:05 AM GMT

Hey everybody. My LE 2100 has been running wonderful. I posted back in 10 when I got it regarding the stator seals I replaced and how to do it but I guess it got deleted??? Anyway I upgraded the head when my factory jbl died. I put in a kenwood mr-350u marine head (0nly $129 at car toys and online for $119) great features usb port, aux 3.5 mm on front dual sub low levels and great power for the money it's tough to beat. Replaced all four 6 inch speakers with polks (all polks are marine rated) ($59 per pair when they went on sale at frys from 99) wow that sounded great over what I had by far then I picked up a used Clarion marine amp 350 watts for $60 bucks of CL and bought a 10 inch comp pioneer sub wedge kicker box from the local pawn and it sounds like a really expensive system and clear loud and plenty of bump I wired the subwoofer (mono) off the amp...

I have been searching but no luck so far has anyone found a great fix or a product to put a pull pylon up high (without breaking the bank on a rack) for my LE

I love my BABY BAJA, I will keep this baby going for some time if I can. North Texas lakes all full again thanks to the rain. I am in DFW and this is the Prairie and Lakes part of Texas we have 26 lakes within a 2 hour drive of home. Joe pool is my home lake but I enjoy Lewisville, Whitney, posum kingdom, and richland chambers.

Keep posting folks put some pics up there.
Don in DFW

miataroadster
nice sound sys upgrade Jul 18,2012 4:52:59 AM GMT

I don't know if your head unit came with a remote but if not and it's an option, I think it's another well-worth investment.

I think the pylon is available with the tri-pod support. However, it might still be too short for what I think you need. One member here might customize one for you with a built in rack. I think his username is "brownie?"
One that's available in the market is a good size pylon but it comes with bow straps. kinda pricey, too.

Damn! That's a lot of lakes to choose from! This year, I only bought two annual lake permits to save some money.
Reply to this message

TechJunkie
Upholstery seams starting to give.... Aug 14,2012 11:40:14 AM GMT

The rear bench isn't holding up so well given the fact that. It is used as a step every time someone gets in or out of the water from the rear platform. I've got a few seams splitting. Until now there were just a couple of minor splits that weren't getting any bigger and really weren't that unsightly but now there is a new split that is getting very large and very noticeable. I was hoping to remove the bench cushion and bring it in for repair or reupholstering but can't seem to figure out how to remove it. Inspecting a little more closely yesterday I noticed that there is a panel in the engine compartment behind the bench and above the gas tank. There is sound proofing over this panel but I think I can see where the screws are located for removal based on the punctures in the sound proofing/heat shield foil. 

Before I go through the trouble of doing that, can anyone confirm for me whether removing that panel will give me the access I need to the underside of the bench in order to remove it or is there some other way?

Thanks in advance...

Other than that she is holding up well...compounded and waxed her at the beginning of the season and removed all of the decals except for the "polaris" markings on port and starboard sides. Had to replace the belt again...this time did it before it actually failed while out on the water. Seems like it is going to be a once a year thing for me...any other owners have this issue as well?  Easy to change and doesn't require tools but I wonder what is making it wear so quickly?  Visually I don't see anything wrong with any of the pulleys or tensioner. I plan on keeping a spare on board at all times now just in case.

Driving in Hampton Bays, NY last week I actually saw an LS2100 being trailered. Also, a neighbor that lives about 1000 yards from me has an EX2100 in his driveway...for a rare boat I seem to be coincidentally seeing my fare share of them.

GSEMLER01
Bench seat access Aug 15,2012 12:12:51 AM GMT

You are on the right track.
Remove the four screws that hold the firewall in place carefully lift it out paying attention to the throttle cable position, it is the hardest to get back in its cut out on the fire wall.
I cant remember if its two or four nuts holding the bench in place just be sure not to drop any in the fuel tank cavity!
If you think you can do it get a staple remover and remove the vinyl and hand stitch all the sewn pieces with a good outdoor use thread start on one end and stitch all the way through each section. and staple back together with stainless staples (hard to find).
I did this with both the bench and back deck.
It has lasted three years so far, I have one stitch failing where i did not do the whole piece in a single run.
Use the holes that are the other thread is in.
It's quite time consuming but turns out nice.
Also my belt is over 4 years and 40hrs old without any wear so I would say some type of alignment issue is going on?

ravensi
Hello I am new here and have a question Aug 17,2012 1:15:43 AM GMT

Hello everyone, I am new here and I wanted to ask a question. Ive spent the last few hours looking for an owners manual online for a 2004 Polaris le2100 with the optimax engine but to no avail. This forum keeps coming up as I look. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find one or has one they could share.

Jay

GSEMLER01
Owners manual Aug 19,2012 2:41:47 AM GMT

Try searching for the owners manual putting pdf in your search.
I found one to download and print for the EX2100, cost around $6.
You can use that manual if you cant find the LE version.
Keep in mind the manual has very little useful info and has been in the bottom of my toolbox untouched for over three seasons.

ravensi
LE2100 Shifter cable Aug 24,2012 9:33:55 PM GMT

Out on the lake today and the shift cable for my 04 Polaris le2100 snapped. Long slow ride back to home after tying the unit up.lol. I'm having a Hell of a time finding a part number and or a place to purchase one.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jay

TechJunkie
a start... Aug 28,2012 11:53:36 AM GMT

i've found that there are a number of sites that seem to offer the same "tool" for identifying a part and placing an order...they aren't, however, always able to deliver the part as this boat is out of production; good luck:

http://www.babbittsonline.com/polaris-watercraft-parts-for-sale?aribrand=POL#/Polaris/B045606DA_SPORT_BOAT_EX%2f%2fLE2100_(2004)/STEERING-CONTROLS_-_B045606DA%2f%2fDC%2f%2fDB%2f%2fDD%2f%2fB045706CA%2f%2fCC%2f%2fCB%2f%2fCD%2f%2fB045607CA%2f%2fCC%2f%2fCB%2f%2fCD%2f%2fB045707CA%2f%2fCC%2f%2fCB%2f%2fCD/48260/48265

ravensi
tough Sep 4,2012 10:00:07 AM GMT

You I bought a Universal one but it didn't work. I ordered one thru Polaris and even paid extra to have it overnighted, a week later I received an email saying it was not being made anymore. I just ordered one from Mercury, just hoping its the right one and its still being made by them.
If not my only next option will be to pull the inner cable out of the sheath and try to run a new cable back thru it and put on new ends. It will be a pain in the @$$..

miataroadster
keep us updated, pls. Sep 11,2012 2:00:45 AM GMT

sorry to hear about your dilemma but I hope you get the right cable for it. who knows some of us here might be in the same situation in the near future.

miataroadster
almost a $1700 mistake! Sep 11,2012 3:04:22 AM GMT

for two seasons, I have never installed the latch on the sunpad/engine cover. I was just too lazy to do it and thought the cover is too heavy to latch open by itself! Uh-ooh..wrong. It was very windy during my night travel three weeks ago. By the time I got to the camp site, the cover was upright and gas shocks were dangling. I was lucky the huge piece cover did night detach from the bottom hinges otherwise I could have lost it or worst I could have created a traffic accident! I ended up using some bungee tie downs to secure it on my way home and to Lake Havasu AZ.
The gas shocks seem to be okay but I could no longer use 'em because all the plastic connection hardware are broken. West Marine Lake Havasu(big store!) did not have the parts, unfortunately. I'll check our local Pepboys or Autozone maybe they have it. It's a pita to access the engine bay now!!!
I have finally found the old latch(when I was not looking for it, of course!) and I plan to install it this weekend. Btw, some of the hinge screws were loose...inspect yours when you have the chance.

miataroadster
gas shocks May 30,2013 2:30:09 AM GMT

It's been almost 8 months since the gas shocks came off the engine cover and now I could not find 'em!! Has anyone bought an aftermarket ones as replacements like from a auto parts store? Lifting the sunpad is a pita when I want access. Thanks guys!

miataroadster
found the plastic end fittings instead.... Jan 5,2014 2:44:56 AM GMT

I decided to try out the sunpad's gas shocks using the old cracked plastic fittings..and they still work!!! So I went to my local boat store and I found new end fittings by SEADOG LINE PART# 321599-1 for $2.95 each; online is $1.60 plus shipping. I am so glad this one is fixed. Access to the engine bay is now a swift and I don't need someone holding the pad up for me while I stick my neck down there(kinda dangerous...the darn cover must weigh at least 50 lbs.!)

http://www.reddenmarine.com/sea-dog-321599-1-nylon-gas-lift-rod-end-fitting.html

miataroadster
trailer info Sep 11,2012 3:32:21 AM GMT

what's the weight of our trailer?
do u have brakes?

ravensi
Questions on 2 alarms and need to replace my sending unit on an LE2100 May 29,2013 1:24:30 PM GMT

First, I need to replace my sending unit on a 2004 LE2100. Anyone know the tank depth off the top of their heads.<br>Also, there are 2 small siren alarms under the dash near wheel, one keeps going off while connected. Anyone know what they warn of?<br>

miataroadster
buzzer May 30,2013 2:24:41 AM GMT

I think one is for the horn and the other for alarm. The latter, my guess, is telling you that you might have a cooling system issue(clogged) thus causing overheating. Make sure to flush the system with water and I hope that's your simple fix. Also the alarm could also be for oil system issue. Did you recently add oil? If your oil reservoirs are not sealed right(or you have air), or low oil, it can also trigger an alarm.

Btw- How many beeps? Frequency?

Update us so others can learn to trouble shoot....good luck!

ravensi
Buzzer May 30,2013 11:31:26 AM GMT

The buzzer was ringing when the key was turned on and the engine hadn't even been started yet.
They are little 12 volt Piezo buzzers. I'm not sure if they came factory or if someone installed them later on for something, I cant find anything about them in any manual..
As for the Sending unit, I had to order it thru Amazon. It was a Moeller Reed unit and no one here in Rhode Island had one in stock.

Kram
Pic of the screw going into the steering cable on jet nozzle? Jun 23,2013 3:11:02 AM GMT

Hi Miataroadster, I see you up here a bit ;). I have an EX2100 and it's new to me this season. I did some fluid replacement as outlined in the manual. Not easy doing the 'stator lube'. I want to make sure that I put the steering back the way it's supposed to be. Can you (or someone on this board) please take a pic of the screw and washer and how it's inserted?

Anyone on the post ever pull the 'stator' off all the way? How hard was it to break the bolts? I only added fluid. It'd be great if you could drain that reservoir another way.

Thanks Miataroadster and the rest of the Polaris posters!

miataroadster
Hey KRAM...pics..sorry I have been busy.... Sep 21,2013 12:35:17 AM GMT

By this time, I am pretty sure you've finished your DIY project. Welcome to the forum. I hope you're enjoying your toy as much as I do.

TechJunkie
Steering Cable Sep 15,2013 12:40:15 PM GMT

FYI

I've determined the make and model of the steering cable and thought I'd post the info in case anyone else needs to replace their cable and can't figure out which Cale they need.

It's a Teleflex SSC21919.

I'll be replacing mine shortly since the original is FUBAR.

miataroadster
battery Jan 5,2014 3:20:15 AM GMT

The owners manual specs is minimum 1000 MCA, 750 CCA, 105 ampere hours. For those original boat owners, did your boat come with this battery specs?

My battery lasted 3 years. It could have been longer but I was too lazy to recharge after the rain. The bilge pump kept running until the battery got drained. By that time, it's too late to recharge. Besides, it probably got frozen and damaged the plates. Walmart test showed'"need to replace battery".
The Everlast only had 625 MCA but I never had a problem starting the boat in 30 or 110 degree F. This time I decided to go with Costco's Kirkland battery. It has 700 mca, 85 hrs amp. 12/30 month prorate warranty. Hooked it up and voila...it fired up the first try!

TechJunkie
Air Compressor or other issue? Jul 7,2014 3:20:27 PM GMT

I was out on the boat this past weekend and took it for a couple hour ride.  There was a fair amount of chop at times so it underwent some pounding but nothing I would consider excessive.  At one point, I felt as though the power reduced but the throttle seemed responsive so I continued on.  When I returned and was preparing to moor, I turned off the engine.  Had to quickly restart due to heavy current and my dog getting in my way of grabbing the pick up buoy.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't start.  The engine was cranking but it wouldn't fire/turn-over.  I tried repeatedly, even let her sit a few hours after mooring but same issue.

Towed the boat to the boat ramp and trailered her home last night.  This morning, after reading some of the service manual I decided to see if perhaps it was something simple like a fuse so I opened the engine hatch, hooked up the hose to flush her while I was poking around and proceeded to check the engine fuses; all were fine with the exception of perhaps one of them being "loose" or not properly seated.  I proceeded to unplug/plug some of the wiring, etc. but didn't really know what I was looking for other than something not being right.  Didn't find anything that jumped out at me so I decided to try and crank her up.  Low and behold, she turned over and started.

Now, I don't know if I'm paranoid but something didn't sound right.  This motor was never quiet with the deck open and the storage bin removed but it seemed as though something was "clunking around.  I recall reading here about issues with the air compressor.  In troubleshooting yesterday I did actually swap out the belt since in the past that had been my source of trouble but honestly the existing belt seemed perfectly fine.  I did notice, however, that one of the pulleys seemed wobbly/loose.  There are four "pulleys" if you will, the main flywheel, the tensioner, another larger pulley and a smaller one. I am referring not to the flywheel but the other larger pulley.

I'm brining her in to get checked out because I don't want to risk running it and end up with some major damage.

Any thoughts in the meantime; sound similar to anyone else with the same engine (Mercury Optimax 250 DFI)?

Crimsonaro
Polaris LE2100 Nov 4,2014 9:14:05 PM GMT

Minnesota boating is pretty much over now. Decided to replay to a very very old post and see who all I can meet.

This summer I bought an LE2100 that had 3.5 official hours on it. The guy I bought it from is a friend I ride Victorys with from time to time. For one reason or another he just didn't use it. Awesome boat. After I got it through the extra oil break in. We have close to 35 hours on it now. Rainy summer, didn't put as many hours on it as I hoped.

Anyway, before I waste anymore time, Just seeing who all still owns one of these and how many are active here.

Tony

miataroadster
welcome! Nov 22,2014 2:51:30 AM GMT

That's like spanking new for 3.5 hours!!!! I have enjoyed my polaris the last 5 summers. Low maintenance and very reliable. Boating season here in socal is over, at least for me. But if it hits in the 80s here, maybe I'll take her out for the last time....well, congrats on the purchase!
Reply to this message

Crimsonaro
Thanks! Nov 26,2014 1:57:04 PM GMT

I'm a bit of a Polaris fan boy and like to own the unique toys. I had wanted this one ever since I saw this boat sitting in his airplane hanger. While looking for a boat 3 summers ago I asked him how he liked his Polaris. He replied that his may be for sale. Turns out we couldn't get in touch until I was an hour away from signing the paperwork on Larson. I'm not the one to screw people over and chose to finish the deal. The Larson was a great boat. We put a lot of hours on it. Finally went back this summer and closed the deal on this LE2100. I was a bit nervous. The boat hadn't ran for about 8 years. Anyone of the 3 fuel pumps could have been seized. The guy pumped all the old gas out of it and we bought 5 gallons of fresh. Jumped in the boat and turned the key and it fired up like it had never been shut off. Then I remembered we forgot to put the fresh gas in it. At that point I decided I had to buy it.

Still has the Hydro-suck grate. Plan to replace that. Did replace the radio that wouldn't play music. The little lady wouldn't let me take it on our annual trip with out tunes. Later I read where people just unplugged the remote and the radio would work again, but too late. Head unit already gone. Put a folding hitch on the trailer and in the process of converting it to a 5 wire brake solenoid. I hate using the little stop block and am tired of the black marks in my driveway. I moved the boat forward on the trailer several inches to shorten the unit up. The winch was adjusted pretty crappy. However, my tongue weight is too heavy now. I need to move the axles forward and find a scale to get it weighed on. Oh, and I did have a guy put a full one piece snap on cover on it. The ski pylon option is still new in the box. The table was still in the wrappers. The trailer cover has seen its share of weather and he let mice get to the Bimini in storage. Beyond that she's damn near new. Even got a couple of Polaris life jackets and Polaris branded dock lines in the deal. Plus a digger anchor way too big for the boat(nice in river current though). We did get sticks twice on the river that I had to trailer it to clear out. Little lady is not very impressed by that, but not a big deal to me. Except I worry its not a stick every time. LOL All in all really fun. Still more plans for it. Tony
Reply to this message

miataroadster
Years of enjoyment..... Feb 28,2015 5:11:20 PM GMT

Wow! Great buy and awesome review. I knew I bought a dependable boat my first boating season.....never had mechanical issues the last 4 years!
Stick - problem very common. The "reverse" trick worked most of the time for me.
Search on cracks when using pylons. I opted to install a tower due to that issue.
How much time and money you spent on the trailer brake conversion?
Reply to this message

Crimsonaro
Reverse Solenoid. Feb 28,2015 6:52:41 PM GMT

The reverse solenoid and hardware is pretty cheap. $45 for the solenoid. $13 for a 5 pin wiring harness. $1.79 for a 10/32 thread barb fitting, and $0.79 for the bypass tube. Prices did vary a lot. Bought that hardware from Pacific Trailers. Best prices I could find.

I had planned to install it when I put on the folding hitch. However it turns out my trailer's master cylinder has metric threads on the port for the barb fitting I bought. Contacted UFP and the response was that he "wasn't aware of them using a master cylinder that didn't have the standard 10/32 thread, but that they did have several manufacturers." I stumbled on the correct fitting at work, but I'm waiting for old man winter to go away before pulling the boat out and finishing the project. It won't take long as long as I do have the right barb.

And thanks yeah I have read about the cracks around the Pylon. I'm debating on putting a reinforcement plate on the bottom and maybe a diamond plate on top or just installing the extended pylon we have in the box. We don't use it much, so it hasn't climbed the priority list yet.

One of the sticks we got was jammed on the impeller as the impeller tried to slice it. Had to tap that one off, the other just would not "reverse" out. Other times I've got stuff out that way. Doesn't bother me much, but one of the times we were a long way from the landing and it was getting dark and cold outside.

The only issue I had was when I put it away, I ran it at idle on the hose to flush it out, but my temp alarm went off. Although the hull vibration when your above idle, but below plane bothers the little lady. I get used to it. (The 2 cycle smoke also bothers her some. lol) The engine is actually quieter then the Larson.

Anyone put the trim tab kit on?
Reply to this message

Crimsonaro
oh and.. Feb 28,2015 6:56:50 PM GMT

It's great to hear of your trouble free hours. The internet whiners would have you believing other wise. LOL Gotta take that stuff with a grain of salt. Fortunately there is not many of these boat for the whiners to whine about. Yet, I wish they kept making them. Seeing the improvements Polaris/Victory have made in the motorcycles, I can only imagine what their jet boat would have been like now. My Victory is a first model year too. Great bike, but I can attest to roughness in the designs that they have corrected now.
Reply to this message

miataroadster
6 owners....how's your polaris? Dec 6,2015 4:18:32 AM GMT

Winter sucks! Hahaha. My boating season was alright. I think I'm slowing down tho. I only logged a total of 21 hours.
Filled up the tank today and added marine stabil. Pulled out the battery and will keep it charging inside the garage. Probably have to go to Walmart to purchase some tire covers.

miataroadster
It's that time of year....BOATING TIME, baby! May 21,2016 12:49:06 AM GMT

Washed the boat last weekend but the bad news....water spots!!! I tried the vinegar initially but thta did not work at all. I used the Meguiar;s ultimate compound and took away most of the spots. Another 2 hours of work would do the trick but I'm too lazy now.
Battery fully charged and started her with no problem.
I hope all is well with you fellow boaters....

xrayspex
ready for another great year of boating fun Feb 7,2017 8:38:58 PM GMT

...hey everybody
I haven't been on the board for years...time flies!
I still have my le2100. This is my lucky 13th year of ownership.
No catastrophes or major repairs so far...
I'm ready for spring and boating season season :)

fasterdaddy
You Bet! Feb 27,2017 3:41:13 AM GMT

Another great season ahead. Just planning to do my yearly maintenance...

miataroadster
cant wait to add water! Mar 18,2017 6:10:50 AM GMT

@ xray and fasterdaddy, welcome back!!! It's almost boating season here in SoCal. but the weather has been crazy...50s to 80s to 50s. I have not done anything major(mechanical) with the boat lately, knock on wood. The last expense was the new upholstery for the sunpad/engine cover done around September, I think. Last year was a slow season for me. I probably only put about 20 hours of boating time.
The first thing I am going to do is to fill her up with gas at Costco. Gas prices creeping up the last few weeks. My battery is still good. I was too lazy to put it on AC charge but the solar charge from Harbor Freight really maintained the battery charge the last 4 months! That was a cheap investment. Happy boating buddies!

miataroadster
so reliable. Jun 5,2017 10:28:06 PM GMT

Finally, I was able to enjoy her with no issues last weekend. lake water was still cold, but kids did not mind that at all. Hours of fun and used up almost 1/2 a tank cruising and towing a 3-seater tube from Costco. Happy boating everyone!

GSEMLER01
Keeps on Ticking Jul 14,2017 9:32:21 PM GMT

Just noticed I haven't posted on here since 2012!
Wow time flies when you have a boat that purrs like a kitten and is always ready to go!
Still going strong approaching 200 hours.

miataroadster
wow!------ but also focus on boat trailer maintenance. Jul 16,2017 6:03:06 PM GMT

Welcome back, man! I'm glad to hear she's fine and ready.
I just came back from a 3-day vacay. As usual, my baby is still running strong. My daughter invited her cousins for some (extreme) tubing. They all totally love it!!!
However, I neglected the maintenance on the wheel bearings...ouch! I am now in search of the correct size bearings. Do you know what size it is? I bought one from walmart, but they only have 1"----too small.

GSEMLER01
wheel bearings Jul 20,2017 4:26:24 PM GMT

Sorry you are just a couple months too late!
I just went through my bearings and had a heck of a time finding the rear seals, I did not replace the bearings they were good as new!
I searched for authorized Shorelander dealers and just took my take offs with me!

Reply to this message

miataroadster
karavan trailer Aug 4,2017 12:38:51 AM GMT

Waz up, GSEMLER01?
Cool, you got your maintenance done. Definitely will save you time and money. I found that out the hard way. I was stuck on the road for hours! Good thing I was able to park safely in a huge turn-out area. I was also able to get pizza delivered- seriously!
Anyway, my boat/trailer insurance connected me with a towing company, but I declined because I was being charged mucho dinero to the tune of $500, then went up to $900( with $250 allowance) when they thought they need a semi to haul my trailer and boat. That was just way too expensive and a rip-off!! Luckily my bro-in-law has AAA-rv membership and we got the help for zero cost! Guess what? I upgraded my AAA membership to AAA-plus and AAA-rv. It's only $164 total per year.

Now to the expenses in repairing the KARAVAN trailer- I needed a set of wheel bearings. I bought FULTON WB138t0700. That's 1-3/8" x 1-1/16" wheel bearing kit to fit my spindle. Unfortunately, after inspecting the spindle, I'd definitely need to replace it in the near future. So I decided to order a replacement. $180 otd but they still have to make it. Apparently, it was a special order by BAJA BOATS years ago so Karavan Trailer has nothing on the shelf.I also ended up ordering new brakes and hubs, and yeah...extra wheel bearing kits. I am hoping to at least tackle repairing the damaged side wheel this weekend so I can take her out again in another couple of weeks. Well enjoy the season, buddy!
Reply to this message